As promised here is my recipe I use when making my children’s birthday cakes. I have tried a few recipes and this one is my favourite. I have the Thermomix version of this recipe however it’s very easy to convert if you don’t own a Thermomix. I have also included a butter icing recipe.When making character and very detailed birthday cakes I like to use fondant icing rather than butter icing. (Fondant was the icing I used for the Peppa Pig cake below.)
What You Need
240g Raw Sugar
190g butter cubed at room temp
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
340g SR flour
What to do
1. Place sugar in TM bowl and mill for 5 sec speed 10.
2. Add butter and mix for 5 sec speed 6.
3. Scrape down sides. Insert butterfly and mix for 30sec speed 4.
4. Add vanilla extract and mix for another 30 sec. whilst this is on add eggs in through the hole of the lid. Until combined. Remove butterfly.
5. Add flour & milk mix on speed 5 for 15sec. Scrap sides down and mix for another 15 sec on speed 5.
6. Place batter in to a greased cake tin (22cm circle tin) place in oven 180c for 30 to 40 mins (or when cake tester comes out clean)
7. The cake will rise to the top. Once cake has cooled, ice with butter icing.
450g raw sugar
220g butter cubed at room temp
3 tbsp of milk
1. Mill sugar for 20sec speed 10. Scrape down sides and repeat.
2. Add butter and milk and mix for 20 sec speed 8.
3. Pipe or spread icing onto cake.
Here is a snap shoot of some of the many birthday cakes I have made…