We are having a small family gathering for Dave’s birthday this weekend. We have 32 people including children coming for breakfast, our immediate family and Dave’s best friend. Yes I did say small gathering! When I have people over, I go into party plan mode or as Dave likes to call it ‘Stress Mode’. I like to make sure that everything is organised and runs smoothly that way I can enjoy myself too. This is how I plan a small event…
- Send out invitation – usually via sms.
- Plan the menu – Nibbles, mains, dessert and of course the cake. I also list any dishes that the wonderful women in my family offer to bring along to share the load (this is a great help!)
- Create a shopping list – I double check my pantry/fridge to ensure I’m not running low on anything.
- The day before I bake and prepare any food that I can.
- Set up – I like things to look nice and effortless. So setting the tables beforehand allows me to take a little more care rather than rushing at the last minute.
- On the day I organise and prepare any last minute things – food prep, ice for drinks ect.
Today is preparation day. It’s time for me to get baking!